Berkey Water Filter Reviews
Are you looking for a good water filter brand that will give you clean drinking water at a good price? Then the Berkey water filter system is exactly the answer to your search.
It is true that there are different brands of water filters in the market as at this moment but the truth is, none of them come close to the Berkey!
In the cause of running this site I have researched and reviewed different brands of water filters but of all these, one that stood tall above the rest is the Berkey water filter systems. This is why I’m dedicating this review specifically to the Berkey range of water filters.
What Is The Berkey Water Filter System?
The Berkey brand of water filters proud itself as “the world leader in portable water purification” and that is for a reason. For example, the filter uses a filtration system that is so powerful that it has been classified as a purifier showing the brand far exceeds the abilities of the standard water filter.
Besides, the Berkey filters are the most advanced gravity water filters in the market right now. They are not dependent on electricity or any other form of power. Once there is gravity, the Berkey will easily turn non-potable or any kind of unhealthy water into clean, delicious drinking water. It doesn’t matter if it is water from challenging environments like wells, rivers and lakes. The Berkey has been found to be the most flexible and adaptable both in terms of reliability, economy and long term solution. This is one of the reasons why many international relief organizations depend on the brand for providing drinking water during emergency situations.
Another reason why the Berkey is so loved by a lot of the users its ability to remove viruses, pathogenic bacteria, cysts and parasites, most harmful or unwanted chemicals, foul tastes, odors and toxic heavy metals without removing healthy beneficial minerals that your body needs from your drinking water.
Berkey Water Filter Comparison Table
Let me quickly point out that the various models of Berkey filters produce the same quality of purified water. The below Berkey Water Filter comparison table is therefore for the purpose of highlighting the different sizes, the price and the uses each can be put into. The aim is to give you an idea of the different models of the Berkey water filter system.
The Big Berkey
The Berkey BK4X2-BB Big Berkey Filtration System with 2 Black Filters and 2 Fluoride Filters is the most versatile filter in the Berkey filter's family. It is ideal for small or medium sized families. It has been proven to remove pathogenic bacteria, cysts and parasites entirely and extracts harmful chemicals such as herbicides, pesticides, VOCs, organic solvents, radon 222 and trihalomethanes and can be used both for indoor and outdoor activities or during emergencies. It is definitely a must have in hostile environments where electricity, water pressure or treated water may not be available.
Click here read more!
The Royal Berkey
The Royal Berkey with 2 Black Filters and 2 PF-2 Fluoride Filters holds 3.25 gallons and can filter up to 4 gallons per hour. It comes with 2 Black Berkey water purification elements. If you want more capabicity, you can add 2 more Black Berkey elements allowing you to purify up to 8 gallons per hour. The system is a beautiful high-grade polished 304 stainless steel that look great in every house.
Click here for details
The Travel Berkey
The Travel Berkey Water Filter W/fluoride Filters is perfect for the avid camper or outdoorsman. It filters fresh water completely of harmful contaminants. Some of the features includes:
1. It holds 1.5 gallons of water
2. Comes with 2 Black Berkey Filters good for 6000 gallons
3. Filters at approx 2 gallons per hour
4. Comes with 2 PF2 fliters for filtering out Fluoride, arsenic and MTBE's
Click here to get more details
The Sport Berkey®
The Sport Berkey® Portable Water Purifier is the ideal personal protection traveling companion. The bottle's filter is designed to remove and/or dramatically reduce a vast array of health-threatening contaminants from questionable sources of water, including remote lakes and streams, stagnant ponds and water supplies in foreign countries where regulations may be sub-standard at best. The media within the filter element removes contaminants by a surface phenomenon known as "adsorption" which results from the molecular attraction of substances to the surface of the media.
Get more details here
How Do You Choose a Berkey Water Filter System?
As mentioned above, the various Berkey water filter models all produce the same quality of purified water. They all have the capability of removing viruses, pathogenic bacteria, cysts and parasites; harmful or unwanted chemicals, toxic metals foul tastes and odors. They all use the same water filtration processes. This makes choosing a Berkey water filter a non tasking thing!
Here are the few factors you need to consider when deciding on a Berkey to buy:
1. What number of persons will the filter cater to? – If you’re looking to supply drinking water to your family, you simply need to determine how many people there are in your family!
2. How will the filter be used? If it is for family need, will it be used only for drinking water or will it also supply water for other home use – like cooking?
3. Is it needed only for emergencies or will it be used for everyday water needs?
This makes the Berkey water filtration system a much easier brand of water filter compared to other water filters. The stress of trying to figure out which model will suit your needs is completely removed. Also the Berkey water filters are made to be user-friendly. They can be set up without the help of a plumber.
Why Choose Berkey Water Filters?
Having researched most brands of water filters in the market today I can really say the Berkey stands out for a number of reasons:
1. Most effective fluoride water filter – Most municipal tap water (about 60% in the US) is fluoridated to reduce harmful bacteria. However it is now recognized that fluorinated water poses a lot of danger to your health. By adding the “PF” line of filters, the Berkey offers you the capability of significantly reducing fluoride and arsenic from your water.
2. Power – Berkey filters do not require any form of power. This makes the Berkey line of filters the best choice during life threatening emergencies like flooding when there is loss of electricity. This is one of the top reasons why the brand is trusted around the world by numerous international relief organizations to provide clean emergency drinking water to workers and citizens during times of crisis or natural disaster.
3. Portability – The various Berkey water filter systems are made to be portable. Though some of them are big in size to cater to a large group of people, still they can be moved around.
4. Size Options – Because the Berkey water filter systems come in various sizes you have the option as to which size to purchase depending on your needs.
5. Purifier – All Berkey systems that have the Black Berkey elements in them are water purifiers. These purifiers kill 99.999999% of pathogenic bacteria, which is something that only the Berkey is able to accomplish.
6. Has no match in the market – Compared to other brands of water filters the Berkey stands out. It has a much higher output of gallons a day – 84 vs 24 or less, can provide water for more people – 168 vs 24 or less, elements filter more gallons – 3,000 vs. 1,500 or less, have no replacement time limitation.
7. Cost – Berkey filters are affordable overall compared to other filters. 1 gallon of Berkey water costs you just 1.7 cents to filter compared to about 7.6 cents for other brands.
8. Last longer – Filtering about 10 gallons per week the Berkey filters can help you enjoy clean, healthy drinking water for more than 11.5 years.
9. Does not remove healthy beneficial minerals – Berkey filters have the ability to remove microscopic pathogenic bacteria but leaves the healthy minerals that are beneficial to your health.
10. Can be used for any kind of unhealthy water – The various models of Berkey water filters have been proven to filter and turn any kind of unhealthy water into clean, delicious drinking water it doesn’t matter if that water is from challenging environments like wells, rivers or lakes.
Berkey: The Trusted Fluoride Filtration Systems
It is true that water management organizations usually add fluoride in public water supplies to make it safe. Unfortunately, recent studies have shown that fluoride poses grave dangers to your health. This is the main reason why drinking water has been de-fluorinated in most of Europe and many toothpaste manufacturers are now moving away from using fluoride in the manufacture of their toothpastes!
The good thing is that the Berkey filters have a fluoride filtration system that can help you minimize the fluoride content of your drinking water. You may not know how grave this is but it will interest you to know some of the dangers of fluorinated water which include:
1. Fluoride and your reproductive system – A number of scientific researches has shown that fluoride is harmful to the male reproductive system. It is capable of destroying sperms and lowering the levels of testosterone that your body is producing. You definitely want to avoid this!
2. Fluoride and the neurological system – It is not scientifically proven that fluoride is capable of causing brain damage as well as hampering the healthy growth of the brain. Even the US Environmental Protection Agency list fluoride as one of the chemicals which have a negative impact on the neurological system of human beings.
3. Fluoride and your IQ – China, Iran, México, and India were involved in 24 different scientific research studies on the effect of fluoride on brain development and learning capabilities and discovered that exposure to fluoride lowers the IQ level of the recipient. It was based on these studies that the governments of countries like China banned the use of fluorine in water.
4. Fluoride and weight gain, depression, and heart disease – Medically fluoride has been used over the years to treat patients who have an overactive thyroid gland, a condition called hyperthyroidism. This is because it is capable of hampering thyroid activity quite effectively. As much as this is a good thing it has however been found in countries that have fluorinated water that fluoride increased the cases of hypothyroidism resulting in weight gain, depression, fatigue, heart disease, increased cholesterol levels, pain in the joints and muscles.
5. Fluoride and fluorosis – Fluorosis is a medical term for a condition where one is poisoned by fluoride! It usually results from an above normal daily intake of fluorine. While one may argue that the possibility of this happening is minimal you must forget that there are other sources of fluoride we are exposed to every day. Sources like toothpaste, soft drinks, preserved fruit juice, and many other packaged and processed foods. All of these heighten the probability of fluorosis.
Indeed fluoride in water may appear to be a good thing but considering the risk involved one can understand why many countries have banned the use of fluoride in water. But you must know that in the US, over 60% of municipal water is fluoridated! This is one reason why you should invest in a Berkey water filter with PF-2 Fluoride filter. You can trust the Berkey fluoride filter to save your loved ones from the grave dangers posed by fluoride your drinking water.
There is no doubt that water is one of the most important needs of our bodies. If we must maintain a healthy lifestyle we must watch the water we drink and use for our daily needs. Berkey water filters have been proven to be the best when it comes to removing viruses to purification standards, pathogenic bacteria, cysts and parasites to non detectable levels and harmful or unwanted chemicals to below detectable levels.
With the added “PF” line of filters, Berkey water filters can significantly reduce the fluoride and arsenic content of your drinking water. Also its ability to reduce toxic heavy metals from your water without removing the beneficial and nutritional minerals makes the Berkey a dominant factor in the portable water filter industry.
And I believe with this Berkey water filter review, making your decision to buy a Berkey for your water filtration need is made easier!